Monday 27 May – Monday 3 June
‘Grounded in Truth, Walk Together with Courage’
NRW 2019 is a key activity in the Reconciliation Movement’s strategy to support Australians in making progress on the Five Dimensions required to achieve reconciliation. Each year the theme engages with one of the Five Dimensions, and the theme this year will focus on building positive race relations. Find out more about Reconciliation Australia’s Five Dimensions.
To foster positive race relations, the relationship between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the broader community must be grounded in truth. Whether you’re engaging in challenging conversations or unlearning and relearning what you know, this journey requires all of us to walk together with courage.
What can you do?
Plan events that celebrate and build on respectful relationships shared by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other Australians and that show how non-Aboriginal Australians can be active supporters of reconciliation. Some examples of events or activities you could plan for your community include:
– Public forums on Reconciliation (e.g. at the Town Hall or local library);
– Aboriginal heritage walks and cultural tours;
– Film screenings, festivals, concerts, poetry or book readings;
– Exhibitions, talks or performances by local Aboriginal artists, musicians, craftspeople or businesses, for example I’m Not Racist, But …;
– Supporting the permanent display of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags or banners where they haven’t been before for example the Sydney Harbour Bridge;
– Reconciliation Breakfasts or festivals featuring Indigenous cuisine;
– Dreamtime story-telling and displays in local schools, libraries, council offices or public spaces;
Or you could support activities within local schools such as arranging guest speakers or workshops, or support an Aboriginal flag raising, an art competition or display.
How can Reconciliation NSW help?
Local Reconciliation Groups can request small amounts of funds.
Reconciliation NSW is offering our network of LRG’s a small amount of funding to assist with the planning of events to celebrate National Reconciliation Week.
We encourage LRG’s in partnership with local Aboriginal groups or organisations, to strengthen relationships between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people and engage your entire community.
There is limited funding available (up to $500) per LRG. To apply for funding download our funding request template or contact the office on 8095 9600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and check our website for updates.
Learn more about National Reconciliation Week here.